Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:02:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        rjesup@wgate.com (Randell Jesup), arch@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent

It seems Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> >         Ummmm...
> >
> >         It seems to me from reading the man page for asleep/await that
> > they have significant utility, and that the real issue would be one of
> > code not using them, especially as people work to remove the Giant
> > lock for SMP.
> >
> >         Or is the discussion in the man page wrong in some way?
>
> The manpage is correct, but we've yet to see it used properly in
> the code with the exception of ata, and even with ata we're not
> sure if it's needed.

Uhm, well I tried removing it here, and now -current (on SMP HW)
fails in new "interesting" ways. The problem here is that
-current is not stable on SMP HW so the question is if this
change in behavior is to the better or to the worse...

I suggest creative manpower is used to stabilize -current, instead
of fine trimming which API's should stay or not...

-Søren