Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:20:34 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 01:31:52PM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> In message <20000915143515.N40658@radon.gryphonsoft.com>, Will Andrews
> writes:
> > Ok people.  I want a reason why we shouldn't move rsh/rlogin/rcmd out of
> > the base system and into ports, now that we can support SSH connections
> > out of the box.
> >
> > And, ahead of the pack of y'all, POLA be damned!
>
> Yet another reason why everything, not just ports, should be installed
> using packages.  Then install just what you want.
>
> Given that packages for parts of the base system are not here today, I
> would add telnet and ftp to this list too.  They should not be
> installed by default.  SSH only.

I wouldn't add telnet to that list.

I can't ssh into any of my routers.  Using telnet to access them works.
I can alway access them via the serial cable, but sometimes that
isn't always practical (sometimes the cable is wired up to a dumb terminal
in the computer room).

I do always require ssh for external access to any of my machines, so
I am pro-ssh.  But unless someone makes it easy to install these other
utilities via sysinstall, I'm against it.  If during installation,
I had to option to install/not install telnet, ftp, and the r* commands,
it wouldn't be too big of a deal.  But, someone has to step forward
and make the changes to sysinstall in order to make this happen.

If your network gets screwed up, ssh isn't very forgiving about not
being able to resolve addresses and the like.  telnet, ftp, and
the r* commands don't care as much, and you can at least do some recovery
and usually get yourself going again.

Jordan has said this before.  It would be nice to be able to pick
and choose exactly what gets installed on your system (and re-built/installed
when you do a "make world"), but no one has actually come up with
the code to make it happen.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard