Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:28:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      S F <snf_lists@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "ahc0: Someone reset channel A" - new FreeBSD 4.5 Install attempt

Hi all,

I have an IBM Intellistation M Pro with dual PII 400
processors (256 MB Ram).  It has an onboard Adaptec
SCSI controller (AIC-7895 w/ bios 1.31) and I am
currently attempting to do a fresh install with the
latest install disc of FreeBSD 4.5.  I get to a point
where the beginning installer is probing the SCSI
devices and an error pops up "ahc0: Someone reset
channel A" around the time that the screen displays
"waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle" - the
error then ends in an eternal loop.
I think we can assume the drive (a 9.1 GB Seagate) is
in fine condition because it checks out okay via the
SCSI setup/bios check and WinNT 4.0 (SP 6) is running
fine on the system.  I have no idea where to go from
here.  I searched the mail archives and also the
usenet archives and found nothing that really related
to the problem I am having.
Any ideas on what is happening?  (BTW, the hard drive
is the only device attached to the SCSI onboard
adapter.  The CD-Rom drive is eide and runs off
another controller.  I have also tried controller A
and B for the SCSI drive and get the same results.  I
have also looked for a bios update for the scsi
controller and can't find anything relevant on
Adaptec's site.)
I would really appreciate any help.

SF