Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 06:10:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/4413

The following reply was made to PR kern/4413; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To: ac199@hwcn.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSd.ORG
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 03:39:22 -0600

 On Mon, Mar 23, 1998 at 04:35:52PM -0500, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
 > > If you could not reproduce it, it probably really was fixed.  I suppose one
 > > way to really check would be to mount a floppy (ufs formatted), write to it/
 > > sync/eject it (do not unmount it yet), put a few pinholes through the section
 > > where the meta-data sits, and put it back in.  Now try to unmount it.

 > I suppose just mounting the floppy and then physically removing
 > it before umounting it is not a valid test.  In your pr you said
 > that you had to insert a write-protected floppy...  Did you try
 > umount -f'ing with the floppy drive empty?

 Thats just too obvious and practical of a test... It will never work :-).  I
 thought of that right after I sent this last mail... [why didn't I ever do
 that??].  Unless it's getting some valid looking data from the hosed tracks
 that confused the filesystem, just removing the disk should work.

 I'm trying that now and same problem.  umount -f doesn't unmount a
 floppy removed from the drive:

 BTW, I'm not entirely sure what 'Old Mount_msdosfs, flags=0' is doing there.
 I get it whenever I mount any filesystem after mounting a dos filesystem.

 Script started on Tue Mar 24 03:27:36 1998
 # mount /dev/fd1 /mnt
 Old mount_msdosfs, flags=0
 < removed floppy here .. >
 # umount /mnt
 fd1: Operation timeout
 fd1c: hard error writing fsbn 64 (No status)
 umount: /mnt: Input/output error
 # umount -f /mnt
 fdc0: cmd 4 failed at out byte 1 of 2
 fdc0: Sense Drive Status failed
 fd1c: hard error writing fsbn 64 (No status)
 umount: /mnt: Input/output error
 # umount -f /mnt
 fdc0: cmd 4 failed at out byte 1 of 2
 fdc0: Sense Drive Status failed
 fd1c: hard error writing fsbn 64 (No status)
 umount: /mnt: Input/output error
 # df
 Filesystem           1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 /dev/fd1                  1103        0     1015     0%    /mnt
 < replaced floppy here >
 # umount /mnt
 #
 Script done on Tue Mar 24 03:28:33 1998

 This was -current of March 14 (kernel March 12).

 --
 Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com
 Real Programs don't use shared text.  Otherwise, how can they use