Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:31:58 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        shanon loveridge <shanon_loveridge@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 03:16:05AM +0000, shanon loveridge wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am strongly contemplating a move to FreeBSD however
> I am a java developer and I need to run java servlets
> etc.. Could someone tell me how good the java support
> is on FreeBSD? I have read a little on using emulation
> for the Linux implementation but I am unsure as to how
> well this will work. If the support is not too good I
> will probably use Linux although FreeBSD is my first
> choice.

Currently running:

    jonc-~,3:35pm> java -version
    java version "1.3.1-internal"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1-internal-jonc-011015-09:24)
    Classic VM (build 1.3.1-internal-jonc-011015-09:24, green threads, nojit)

Only "green" threads available, but working pretty good nonetheless.
You have to build the native version from the ports, though.

Cheers
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>