Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 18:59:07 -0700
From:      Ben Speirs <igiveup@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: major problems doing buildworld after cvsup in FreeBSD 4.0

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Eric Ogren wrote:
>
> > To both of you; are you *sure* you're sup'ing the crypto sources? In
> > 4.0-STABLE, you need crypto to build the system (there is a
> > NOCRYPTO option in /etc/defaults/make.conf which should work, however).
>
> No you don't, at least you shouldn't have to. Crypto is *recommended*, but
> not mandatory. I can't remember if there was breakage in 4.0-RELEASE, but
> what *will* get you is if you have old crypto sources lying around (or
> just the directories) because then they will be "autodetected".

I think you must be right Ken, at least in my case.  I think I have
solved my problem too.

Being stubborn ("This should f'ing work!  I've done it a hundred times
before") I proceeded to try another buildworld.  In preparation for the
build I cleaned up my disk to make sure there was enough room on it.
Among many other cleanups I went into my /usr/obj and did a rm -r * to
clean out old build stuff.  I noticed that several files buried in a few
directories were not getting removed.  They had the immutable flag set.
After chflags-ing and rm-ing them I started the buildworld.  That must
have done it because it finished successfully and the earlier messages I
reported never showed up.  This is with the same source that failed
before since I did not do a CVSup.

I suspect your comment about having old crypto sources lying around is
correct.  After I did my upgrade to 4.0 from CD I decided to try out the
4.x-secure-stable-supfile.  About ten minutes in to the process I
decided to abort (I can't remember why).  The next time I CVSup'ed I
used the non-secure file.  That is when my problems started.  After it
failed I figured my source tree was kind of messed up so I decided to
burn it down and install it fresh from the CD.  Besides after three
years I figured it might have lots of clutter - especially my config
directory.  Still it wouldn't work.  Those frozen files in /usr/obj
never got cleaned out until I got around to my disk tidying.

I still need to do the installworld but I think that should go without
problems.  Thanks everyone for the tips.  Maybe someday I will take
another shot at the secure/crypto stuff.
--
-Ben Speirs