Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:23:30 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emacs and the backspace key

On Monday, 27 December 1999 at 21:45:50 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 02:44:29PM -0600, Tony Wells wrote:
>> When I ssh into a remote machine (FBSD 3.3-Stable) and run emacs, it
>> thinks that the backspace key is actually C-h.  'echo $TERM' on the
>> remote machine shows my terminal type as xterm.
>>
>> My question is: how do I convince emacs that my backspace key is really
>> my backspace key and not C-h?
>>

> See questions 112 & 113 in the Emacs FAQ (C-h F).

Note that these numbers change with the version.  In my version
(20.4.1) the key binding questions start at 116.

The real issue is that the backspace key *is* c-h.  One of the more
illogical things about GNU Emacs is that Stallman chose to use c-h for
a different function than erasing.

In order to make the backspace key work as you presumably want it to
(delete previous character), you need something like this in your
.emacs:

(global-set-key (quote [C-backspace]) (quote backward-delete-char-untabify))

Greg