Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:46:39 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

This happens quite a lot with Lotus Notes deployments, as a matter of
fact.

> There are no massive costs involved in retraining the major mass of
> employees. There may be a couple of power users who use Office to a
> large percentage of its capabilities and who would need to be
> retrained.

Or not.  To a large company with, say, 2000 employees, if 20 of them
are in the users of Office to a large percentage of it's capabilities
category, then let 'em alone.  It's far worth it to get the other 99%
of the users switched over.

What needs to change in these organizations is the tail wagging the
dog situation.  To many of these organizations have 20 power users
who aren't in the IT group and yet think they should be able to set
policy for the other 1,980 employees, and these people propagandize
the high-level managers who are so hidebound they never touch a PC,
into setting Orafice as the standard.

Then 6 months later the CEO who was asleep at the switch is demanding
to know why the IT budget went over by a half million for the year.

Ted