Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:25:40 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Brian Beattie <beattie@beattie-home.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE ASUS K7V floppy boot fails -- register dump

> > > Mount the kern floppy on another FreeBSD box and do some surgery on
> > > it along the following lines:
> > >
> > > mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
> > > rm /mnt/boot.config
> > > umount /mnt
> > >
> > > That should keep the -P flag out of your boot line and ensure that the
> > > keyboard is properly detected.  I think our use of -P was over-eager
> > > since there are motherboards which don't play nice with it, like this
> > > one.
> >
> > Actually, this is entirely irrelevant.  The keyboard detection code is
> > passive, and simply reads a flag in low memory (which this board is
> > setting correctly).  I don't have a good idea of what's going wrong here,
> > but it's the current spanner in getting your build box out of my hair. 8(
>
> I would have to say that my experience indicates a flaw in your
> analysis.  I do not know what is doing it, but since the boot process
> started checking for an extended keyboard, I can not use my compact
> keyboard in boot, or, I think, single user.

You're welcome to read the code in boot2, and explain to me how the
testing of a single bit in low memory might cause the symptoms that you
describe.

I'm afraid that, in this case, it is *your* analysis that is faulty, and
you are being misled by an irrelevant aside.

> I gave up and went back to a regulat keyboard, since nobody seemed
> interested in listening, to myself and others.

I'm certainly not interested in being insulted, no.  You're welcome to
help work out what's really going on, since you're the one with the
symptoms, and until you decide to do so, nothing's going to get fixed.