Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:18:14 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Chflags vulnerability in FreeBSD?

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 10:08:07AM -0400, Sean O'Connell wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> I received the following from SANS (www.sans.org) and it initimated
> that there is a vulnerability in FreeBSD that had previously been
> thought to only exist in BSDi:

> SANS Digest EXTRA -- Vol. 3 Num. 8a
>
> 4) In item 10, BSDI A of the Augusts SANS Security Digest, we reported
>    the chflags problem as a BSDI-specific problem, when in fact other
>    versions of BSD kernel are effected as well as some programs (e.g.,
>    ssh) based on the same routine. Vendor specific information can be
>    found at:
>         http://www.BSDI.COM/support/patches/patches-4.0.1/M401-014.info
>         http://www.BSDI.COM/support/patches/patches-3.1/M310-056.info
>         http://www.ssh.fi/sshprotocols2/
>         http://www.openbsd.org/errata.html#chflags
>    Also, according to a Bugtraq posting by Adam Morrison on 08/01/1999,
>    NetBSD has corrected the problem and FreeBSD appears to be vulnerable.
>    The SANS Digest editors were unable to locate an FreeBSD specific
>    information regarding this problem.
>
> Has this been addressed or fixed?  If it exists, it should probably
> be fixed before 3.3 gets out the door.

It has been fixed, and had been fixed the day the posting was approved
for bugtraq (of course, the bugtraq editors then spent 4-5 days before
approving the postings pointing this out).

SANS has not done any serious attempt to get information - there has,
for instance, not come any mail from them to
security-officer@FreeBSD.org.

Eivind.