Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 00:31:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bharat@menalto.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/19010: Bad144 obsoletion by 4.0 is undocumented; fix is undocumented

>Number:         19010
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Bad144 obsoletion by 4.0 is undocumented; fix is undocumented
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	3.4-STABLE i386, 4.0-RELEASE/4.0-STABLE i386

When I installed FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE on my machine there was no
indication that bad144 (bad sector forwarding) was not a good idea.
Support for bad144 went away in 4.0, so if you are using it in 3.4
this will get in the way of upgrading.  After you reinstall the
kernel and reboot it will not let you remounte your root partition
and will give you an error message like this:

	wd0: bad sector table not supported
	wd0s1: bad sector table not supported

>How-To-Repeat:

Turn on bad144 at install time of 3.4-STABLE or 3.4-RELEASE, then
attempt to source upgrade the machine to any 4.0 branch.

>Fix:

Q:	How do I tell if my drive has bad144 on it, BEFORE I
	try to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.0 and have it fail on me?

A:	Use the disklabel utility.  'disklabel -r wd0' (replace
	wd0 with your drive device) will give you the contents of
	your disk label.  For example:

		# /dev/rwd0c:
		type: ESDI
		disk: wd0s1
		label:
		flags: badsect		<--- NOTE!
		bytes/sector: 512
		sectors/track: 63

Q:	How do I remove bad144?

A:	The easiest way to do this is to use disklabel.  You can
	dump the current label out to disk and then reload it, or
	you can just edit it in place with 'disklabel -e -r wd0'.
	All you have to do is remove 'badsect' from the flags line
	and you're all set.  This won't affect any of your data.
	bad144 is probably still taking up some space on your disk
	but it is no longer in effect.