Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:31:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disktab and Disklabel curiosities. One works, one doesn't!

On 08-Jun-98 Robert Chalmers wrote:
> Hi,
> still at this,
>

> c2490a|Compaq C2490A SCSI:\
>       :ty=winchester:dt=SCSI:ns#16:nt#51:nc#5036:sf:\
>       :oa#0:pa#2054688:\
>       :ob#2054688:pb#2054688:\
>       :oc#0:pc#4109376:
>
> This doesn't work yet. 2 partitions of 2054688 each = 4109376, and disklabel
> returns the error:
>
>   disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink
>
> It then exits, without writing any info.

Show the disklabel-command you are trying to run.
Generally it means, that the disk you try to disklabel is already
partitioned/disklabel'ed.
What geometry did you use while partitioning the disk ?
I am using always :se#512:nt#64:ns#32: on SCSI-disks.
"nc" can be easily calculated with this info given.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>