Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 16:50:37 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD / Windows Printing Query

* Danny <dannyho@bigpond.net.au> [20010107 15:42]: writing on the subject 'FreeBSD / Windows Printing Query'
Danny> - Hello
Danny>
Danny> - I have been sharing the printer (installed on FreeBSD) without any problems
Danny> using apsfitler for a while
Danny>  - Now I need to use FreeBSD to print on a Windows 98 Machine
Danny>
Danny> - I am running the following configuration
Danny>
Danny>
Danny> freebsd# uname -a
Danny> FreeBSD freebsd.freebsd.org 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Sep 16 23:40:35 GMT 1999     jkh@highwing.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
Danny> freebsd#
Danny>
Danny> - The shared printer (running windows 98) is //windows/canon
Danny>
Danny>
Danny> Question
Danny>
Danny> 1) How can I get FreeBSD to print on a Windows 98 Machine?
Danny> 2) If I need to install samba what exactly do I add to the smb.conf file?

Samba is a big issue and requires that you read about it.
Try reading it from http://sunsite.auc.dk/samba/oreilly/using_samba/ch07_01.html but better buy the book
itself;-).
The basic entries rqd in the Samba config file /usr/local/etc/smb.conf include the workgroup name and the share mode.
That is what I once got when troubleshooting Samba.
But I guess you only need Samba if you want to share your printer/files with Windows from the FreeBSD box.

Try configuring apsfilter by telling it that the printer is a Windows remote printer (not sure about the exact
words but there is that option, as long as the Windows machine is on some wrgrp.
You'll specify the netbios name of the Windows machine, the Workgroup, it's IP address, and the exact share name of the printer.

HTH

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Loving you doesn't make me any less human. -Jason Q.