Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:01:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <martyn_hill@lineone.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Errors using Dynamic DNS update from DHCP

Martyn,

Yep, the only concern is if you client's IPs change...  see below.

Martyn Hill said:
> Hi
>
> Our school network relies on a local caching nameserver running on
> FreeBSD 4.4STABLE and BIND 8.2.4 / DHCP v3.0 with dynamic updates
> (successfully?) running.
>
> Browsing the message log on the box reveals heaps of messages of the
> following ilk...
>
> Jan 11 15:35:03 sjrouter dhcpd: if IN A SJSG062M.st-james.net domain
> doesn't exist add 345600 IN A SJSG062M.st-james.net 10.0.1.2 add 345600
> IN TXT SJSG062M.st-james.net "3163cb3d963493c8c717b85bfc3394c9dd":
> domain already exists.

The answer to your question is those last 3 words "domain already exists".
The dhcpd server is trying to add a record to your zone that already
exists.  I'll assume from this that 10.0.1.2 is where named is running.

> Jan 11 15:35:03 sjrouter named[570]: error processing update packet
> (NXRRSET) id 19267 from [10.0.0.200].1161

I find this odd, unless your dhcpd server is running on 10.0.0.200, the
update should be coming from your DHCPd, not the client itself.  I get
these errors as well, except they are logged as coming from the ip that
dhcpd is running on not the client.

You may have the dynamic update feature of Win2k enabled (which I would
suggest disabling as I don't believe it's compatable with isc).

> and others refering to (YXDOMAIN)
>
> The IP 10.0.0.200 refers to the local FreeBSD box (on its internal
> subnet NIC). This IP is allowed to make updates in the named.conf and
> seems to suceed.

Actually... again, these updates should be coming from the dhcpd's ip.

> The messages arrive in force when wireless WinME clients connect, but
> occur regularly with static Win2k workstations also.
>
> Are these messages of concern?

This is what I believe is happening.  When an IP is assigned by the dhcpd
server, it sends an update to named.  When the lease expires, it sends
another update to named removing the ip from the zone.  When the lease it
renewed the record is removed and then re-added, generating no errors.

It seems that if dhcpd is killed for any reason, after restarting it will
not remove records from the dns that it added before it was killed.  What
ends up happening is the next time the client requests the address (usually
from renewing the lease) dhcpd goes straight to trying to add the record,
and named rejects the update because a record for that IP already exists.

The only way I have found to fix this to remove all of the records from the
zone (A and PTR) that pertain to the dynamic clients, reload the zone, and
restart dhcpd.

--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire