Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:47:17 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Defragmentation of disks -- is it possible or even necessary?

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 08:14:30AM +0100, Jon Molin wrote:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> >
> > In the last episode (Dec 14), Anthony Atkielski said:
> > > Do FreeBSD filesystems on disk ever have to be defragmented, and if
> > > so, what tools are normally used for the purpose?
> >
> > They should not ever need defragmentation (by default, 8% of the
> > filesystem is reserved to keep enough space to prevent frags from being
> > created), but if you decide you need it, the standard way is dump,
> > newfs, restore.
>
> Isn't it possible to use Dr Watson also? ;)
>
> /Jon

Jon ! You almost got a "serious" reply to that unil I noticed your
smiley. Good old Dr Watson, I never used to be able to work out what,
practically speaking, you were supposed to do with Dr Watson's
assistance..lol.

Patient: "I feel sick"
Docter:  "You feel sick becuse you are ill. Next patient please".

--
Regards
Cliff