Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:21:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setattr() syscall as proposed by phk

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 phk@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
> Nate Lawson writes:
> >I don't mean to be rude but I doubt the utility of this whole
> >plan.  dump/restore are done on disk devices which are at least an order
> >of magnitude slower than a syscall boundary crossing.  Going from 4
> >syscalls to 1 can't make a bit of difference in restore(8) performance.
>
> You are wrong about restore:  restore is done on a mounted filesystem.

Heh, you took that too literally.  I meant the IO is coming from a tape,
disk, or other physical media device where latencies for a 32-64k xfer are
usually on the order of 1-10 ms or more.

> >So why is this faster?  Something is likely slowing namei() down.
>
> Because 1 syscall and 2 namei calls are faster than 4 syscalls and
> four namei calls.

Which leaves us back at my previous point which is that something is wrong
with caching if 4 namei calls (for the SAME name) are so much slower.  A
great task would be to examine/test namei(), identify why it's not cached
correctly, and fix the underlying problem.  The syscall boundary crossing
is NOT significant here.

-Nate

"One hand for your own code, and one hand for the infrastructure".
     -- phk