Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 20:49:21 -0400
From:      Jeff Love <jl@burghcom.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4->RELENG_4 error when running make...

>Of course, if you installed the new system before building the new
>kernel, you would not have hit this problem, but you are living
>dangerously when you install the new world and try to run with the old
>kernel.

That is exactly how I've been doing it for years. 'cd /usr/src',  'make
buildworld', 'make installworld', 'cd sys/i386/conf', 'rm -rf
../../compile/mykernel', 'config mykernel', 'cd ../../compile/mykernel',
'make depend', 'make', 'make install', do manual merge, reboot.

This has never failed, except when I've used mergemaster, which can make
a mess of things easily.
How would this method differ from using 'make buildkernel
KERNCONF=/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/mykernel' and 'make installkernel
KERNCONF=/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/mykernel' ? Both methods install the new
kernel on a running machine.

Jeff Love
Burgh-Com