Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:42:44 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed changes to kern_switch.c and kern_synch.c

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 12:24:09AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > Hi,
> > we have implemented a weight-based process scheduler
> > for FreeBSD-stable, and are trying to port it to -current (in the
> > description below replace "process" with "thread/kse" as appropriate
> > for the -current case).
>
> Are you going to make this new scheduler generally available?

yes of course! At least the version for -stable is basically working,
for -current i still have to understand the relation between
KSEG's and threads etc.

> What is the weighting?

it is basically the WF2Q+ algorithm used in dummynet (i am the king
of recycling :). The OS community calls this "Proportional Share"
or something like that.

Same as for dummynet queues, active processes get each a share of
the CPU which is proportional to their weight. The absolute share
of course depends on the number of active processes and the total
sum of weights.

The complexity of the algorithm is O(log N) where N is the number
of active processes.

The code has been developed by a PhD student of mine, Paolo Valente,
who is also the guy behind the WF2Q+ implementation in dummynet.

	cheers
	luigi