Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 05:24:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Carl Makin <carl@stagecraft.cx>, Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd multimedia server

Hi,

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Jason Andresen wrote:

> Carl Makin wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, May 30, 2002, at 08:05  AM, Vinod wrote:
> >
> > > i have a multimedia server runing on win2k server
> > > right now and need to serve to freebsd client
> > > machines.
> > > Is there anyway i can stream out videos from a win2k
> > > server to a freebsd client?
> >
> > I haven't tried it (except for the client on MacOS X but) have a look at
> > VideoLan.  There seems to be a port of the client in the ports tree.
>
> I think mplayer supports several MS streaming format (wmv, asf), and
> there is the Linux Realplayer that works under FreeBSD.

What is "streaming", live content ?

There is mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net, the Cisco open source mp4 player.
Seems to be the coming standard. You can have "one click streaming"
with video/vnd.mpegurl and filelists with the extension .mxu (like .m3u
files and .mp3) It needs the Apple darwin streamin server or something
similar, maybe you can find something for windows 2000.

H.