Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 17:29:19 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

At 4:41 PM -0500 8/5/97, Atipa wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>
>> > Any news on the following high-demand technologies?
>> >
>> > Universal Serial Bus (USB)
>> > 	http://www.usb.org (503)264-0590
>> > 	Modular, _Powered_ I/O w/ neato hubs
>> > 	12Mbit/sec, up to 127 devices
>>
>> Just where did you see this high demand for USB? I sure haven't noticed
>> it.
>
>It has very good potential.

At 120k bytes per frame and 30 frames/sec, I don't think USB is fast
enough for the Digital Video Camera sitting here on my desk.

It runs on IEEE 1394 (Firewire) which is already shipping 200Mbit/sec
and soon to go to 400 and 800Mbit/sec. Like USB, it has simple cabling,
power, etc.

The networking seems extremely swift (I haven't really benchmarked it)
But only 63 devices per segment :-(

Move over PCI buss.  You're slowing us down.