Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 03:31:25 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.8 RC1 Now Available

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

  The first release candidate is now available.  The i386 FTP
installation directory and mini-ISO is available now from our many
mirrors, and the Alpha bits should be available in the next 48 hours.
I found a few inconsistencies with the latest package set that we were
going to use for this one, so I haven't uploaded a full disc1 ISO at
this time.  When those problems are resolved a full disc1 ISO will be
made available.

  In the mean time, there are a lot of new features in 4.8-RC base
system that could use testing.  I've started the usual testing guide
here :

  http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/qa.html

  Please email re@ if you have an open issue that should be reflected
on this page (actually, it's in CVS so sending a diff would be best!).
It would be nice to close some of the open sysinstall buglets before
this release goes out.  Please consider looking through the PR
database and helping us squash some subtle sysinstall bugs.  There's a
lot of low-hanging fruit here :

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?category=&severity=&priority=&class=&state=&sort=none&text=&responsible=freebsd-qa&multitext=&originator=&release=

  As always, thanks for your help making this FreeBSD release a
success.

  - Murray / Release Engineering Team

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s--