Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:48:42 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very Important!!

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 11:46:36PM -0500, Drdoom9377@aol.com wrote:
>     Hi, My Name is Eric Martin. I would like to tell you that you are
> supporting a web site that is trying to hack other servers. This web site
> consists of hackers. They openly admit to cheating and hacking servers. I
> don't know how you all would allow this to happen. I Believe that this group
> is taking advantage of you. There Web Address is WWW.BLTCLAN.COM. They must
> be stopped. They are ruining the web and gaming for everyone. So please stop
> them.

Eric, I think it is a little hard to fathom your email. All the sites you
address it to are support sites for various "pieces" of software, in
this case the FreeBSD O/S. This software is in non-hostile use by
many people across the globe. Anti-social elements can also use it,
they can hardly be stopped (how would you suggest they could be?).
The Computer cracking (hacking is not the same thing btw) needs to
be stopped at a different level, by the ISP's or by building defences
around your system such as a firewall. Even with that so-called
Denial of Service atacks, which I guess is probably what you are
being plagued with can be very difficult to stop. Also, if you are
using Windows systems for gaming I am sorry to tell you that most
Windows "firewalls" work on a flawed assumption, and thus don't
work well at all (there are many articles on the web concerning this
illusion of protection, this is not just my opinion, people who know
far more about firewalls than I do have done some independent
evaulations).

The tools they use may well be open-sourced tools, whose intent is
to show where a system can be broken for the purpose of showing
you where the vulnerabilities are and to give you the chance to
find a way to plug the holes. By the very nature of these tools,
that simulate attacks on your system, they could be misused.
This is part of life on the InterNet, it is the system crackers
and the paths through which they access the Internet that they
can be caught and dealt with.

Some child pornographers use Usenet, they use the same software
as people who exchange news about Stamp Collecting. The tool
is not the problem, it is the user of the tool.

And I have to say that people who use the Internet for benign
purposes also have a responsibility to take precautions. Not
only for their own protection but also to stop the cascading
effect of a problem such as virus propagation.

I am sorry that your gaming fun is being spoilt, no normal
person wants to prevent that. But there are some people who
get a thrill from disturbing other people's innocent enjoyment
and/or business.

A car can be used to drive to the shops to get your groceries.

I have written this in the hope that you will understand that
FreeBSD, or MySQL or any of the others on your list are not
the criminals in these acts.

Now I will send this message, that will go to my ISP for transmission
to you. My ISP runs FreeBSD and would close me down tomorrow if
it had substantive proof that I am using my connection to do
anti-social or criminal activities.

You are not on your own, but you need to look in the right
place to help solve or at least alleviate the problem.

I wish you luck.

--
Regards
Cliff