Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:20:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Linus Nordberg <linus.nordberg@canit.se>
Cc:        Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos vs SSH

:Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com> writes:
:
:   As a new software/internet company we want to be responsible for
:   paying for the licensed software from both a moral and legal
:   perspective.
:
:speaking of morality/legality and ssh i'd like to point out that the
:legal aspects of the bignum code in ssh2 is in strong doubt.
:
:according to <http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=385027617>, they
:have simply stolen the gmp code and now claim that they wrote it.
:
:--linus

    That's a pretty old message.  If you look at the followups to it
    you will find the counterargument from the ssh 2 people, and a
    third example from even older bignum source code that is very similar
    to the ssh 2 and gmp code.

    There are only so many ways a bignum library can be written.  Still,
    I think the GMP author was right in regards to the SSH 2 people using
    his code verbatim.  On the otherhand, bignum is something that a
    good programmer could write from scratch in a week.   The last two
    postings in the thread note that the bignum code can be derived from
    Knuth's Seminumerical Alg. book fairly easily... in a few hours.  I'd
    agree with that comment too.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>