Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:32:18 -0500
From:      jimmy fix <jim_fix@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bsd flavors

hi there...

i'm new to bsd and would like to make the following question:

considering i'd use bsd for:
  1. desctop (workstation) system with dial-up to ISP
  2. experiment with networking at home with a few old systems i plan to load
         bsd on and try configure as firewall, server etc

which would u think to be the best flavor? freebsd, openbsd or netbsd.

i know that i shouldnt probably ask u this question but i'm a bit confused. i
dont quite get what the differences are between the flavors of bsd.

for example it is said that netbsd has extensive networking etc. does that
mean that the others are somehow limited. i mean could i set up freebsd as
proxy or firewall ? (just basic stuff to learn). or openbsd security...do i
realy need that kind of stuff for dial-up workstation and basic server
configurations usage?

it seems that there is a lot of info about each flavor but not too much on
which one to use as beginner etc...

my experience with unix is basic. i installed red-hat later version but wasnt
realy much faster than windows as they said. moreover it had that staroffice
thing which is written in java and gave my 233mmx a realy hard time...i mean
that was even slowere than ms iexplorer.

anyway, i would apreciate any advice u could give to beginner like me
consearning which flavor (after i choose that, there is plenty of info).

tanx and look forward to ur response.

regards,
jimmy