Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:48:57 -0700
From:      "Dragon Knight" <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Learning more about FreeBSD and Networking

Hey all,

If you didn't know (you could probably care less) I am currently a Sophomore
in high school.  At the beginning of this semester I started the Cisco
Networking Academies course designed to make me all the System Administrator
I can be.  Well, to be quite frank, the course sucks.  Also, it probably
doesn't help that the teacher hardly knows how to turn on a computer.  Maybe
it will get better once the hardware gets here and we start building routing
tables and playing with IOS and the like but...   and even if it is better
it's a year away.  So, I ordered DNS and BIND, 3rd Edition - TCP/IP Network
Administration, 2nd Edition - and The C Programming Language ANSI C Edition.

I have a 266MHz k6 (bla), and a DX4/100(clone) (bla), i have them networked
with a crossover cable, and have the 266 connected to the internet via
dialup with a dynamic IP.  Windows '95 is going to be run on the DX4, and
FreeBSD 2.2.8 on the K6.

I was wondering, with this setup, where would my efforts best be directed.
What additional books, hardware, etc. should I acquire?  (did I make a good
choice in the books I did order).  What do I need to know to jump into a
field of unix system administration right out of high school (though I do
plan to go to college).  Also please don't say..  buy a Cisco router or
someshit as I am pretty poor, these books were basically Christmas.

Thanks much,
Samuel Greear