Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2013 19:50:47 +0100
From:      Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building specific ports with gcc in 10.0

--Sig_/PV5gzJDOaTAi+z2WtInufth

Hi everybody,

With the 10.0 release becoming more and more tangible, I tried to switch on=
e laptop to 10.0-BETA3 and see how it would go.

I fumbled into a problem that I have a hard time to resolve: I would like t=
o build graphics/darktable with gcc (lang/gcc46 to be precise, through the =
USE_GCC system) to benefit from openmp support.=20

Here's the problem : graphics/darktable, mostly C, uses graphics/exiv2 whic=
h is written in C++, but built with clang++/libc++. So when I try to build =
graphics/darktable, I get errors of unresolved symbols from exiv2 library:

libdarktable.so: undefined reference to `Exiv2::XmpProperties::registerNs(s=
td::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const=
&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > c=
onst&)'
libdarktable.so: undefined reference to `Exiv2::XmpParser::encode(std::basi=
c_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&, Exiv2::XmpD=
ata const&, unsigned short, unsigned int)'
libdarktable.so: undefined reference to
`Exiv2::ExifData::operator[](std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
[...]

I suppose this comes from symbol naming conventions between clang++/libc++ =
and g++/libstdc++ (wasn't C++ ABI supposed to be standard? I guess not). If=
 I build exiv2 with g++, I can build darktable, but I feel this way of doin=
g things will be a PITA in the future.

Does anybody knowledgeable with gcc know how to manage those issues?

--=20
Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>