Date:      15 Dec 2001 00:30:53 -0800
From:      bootprob@sleve.mailshell.com
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't Boot Windows now

Contact:  bootprob@sleve.mailshell.com
Date:  12/14/2001
Problem:  Can boot windows
After playing with the FreeBSD install CD:

I cannot boot my Windows 95, 2GB FAT16 hard drive.  Seems I accidently wrote the Bootmanager to the MBR of the wrong drive.  (Yes, I should know better.)  I can still see the disk when I boot from a 95 floppy and all the files are there.  But I get a "Disk I/O Error, Please insert system disk."

For those familiar with xXcopy.exe (not xcopy or xcopy32),
	I booted Windows from a third partition and ran:
	xxcopy D: E: /CLONE
Seemed to work great until the end, when it quit with an error message:  "Too many short file names are not being copied correctly.  This may be due to different filesystems"  So it quit saying disk full, when there were in fact 3MB space left on a 2gb receiving partition.  Seemed to copy almost all the files.  Indeed the original disk (2gb formatted with EZDisk by Western Digital) was indeed a different file system than the receiving partition.  I had used Free Fdisk.exe to make several primary partitions on an 8gb drive.  I had copied files to one of those partitions.  When I made that partition the active partition, I tried to boot and it did not work.

I tried:   fdisk /MBR  as well as a SYS C: and neither worked.

Is there any way to recover the original Win95 drive's bootability?  I know I can copy the data files and reinstall, but I don't want to do that unless I really HAVE to.  I no longer have all my freeware zip files to reinstall.  It was a finely tuned system that almost never crashed.  I'd love to drop the EZDrive filetype as well.

Steve