Date:      Thu, 09 Jun 2011 00:18:52 -0400
From:      Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

On 6/8/11 11:53 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 05:56:59PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>>
>> I'm still bringing back the dozens of things I removed from ethic.
>> And testing new ideas.  But I have a general question: have any of
>> you wizards who run your own domains or otherwise use a switch [or
>> hub] *ever* had it just-quit?!  It is solid-state.  Yes, the box is
>> within my feet/foot reach.  I have accidently kicked it i suppose,
>> but still.
>
> I think I've just had ports die one by one on a switch until it no longer
> worked.  I don't think I've ever had the whole thing go poof for no
> evident reason.

Ditto.  Most recently a Cisco switch had a rather useful port go into a
really weird state that didn't really look broken but bits
just...weren't....flowing.  Took a while, and a lot of poking at the
server in question, before we looked at each other and said, "Wait,
we've been assuming the switch works, what if it isn't."

BTW, Gary, Linksys=Cisco is pretty much just a marketing thing and not a
technology thing.

--Jon Radel