Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:56:35 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting the wpa_supplicant Daemon from rc.conf

We are using 802.1x on our wired network and the wpa_supplicant
on this system works like it should to authenticate with the
network if manually called as in

sudo ./etc/testwpa which is the name I gave the script that
calls wpa_supplicant and gives it the configuration file and
interface information to authenticate.

	The only thing that is not yet working is getting
wpa_supplicant to authenticate automatically upon reboot or
startup. I presently have the following in /etc/rc.conf:

#wpa_supplicant
wpa_supplicant_enable="YES"
wpa_supplicant_program="/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant"
#executable
wpa_supplicant_flags="-B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wired -i le0"

	The test script doesn't daemonize so there is no -B flag.
We send:

sudo wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wired -i le0

We get messages saying that the authentication was successful and
the port opens.

	There are no log entries until I ran the sudo command in
the test so I don't think that wpa_supplicant is ever run by the
command in rc.conf.

	Thanks for all constructive ideas.

Martin McCormick