Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:35:31 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        dima@best.net
Cc:        tweten@frihet.com, louie@TransSys.COM, trost@cloud.rain.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

> Ted Spradley writes:
> > > Excuse me? What are they (users) going to do with kernel name list
> > > besides attempting to hack your machine?
> >
> > No, you've missed Mr. Tweten's point.  You don't get to ask.  *You* have
> > to prove that there's *nothing* else they could get from reading the
> > kernel.
>
> How can I prove that there's nothing else they can get from reading my kernel,
> if I'm trying to prove opposite?

You have to prove that there is nothing else besides attempting to hack
your machine that these users could possibly get from reading the kernel.
 That is, you have to prove your assertion that there is nothing useful
that users could get from reading the kernel.

I just wanted to clarify my wording.  I've had quite enough of this subject.  We've already wasted far more effort on the discussion than I was attempting to save by preventing a gratuitous change.