Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:34:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
To:        John Prince <johnp@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: still more digiboard and modem questions/problems...

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, John Prince wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I have a few replies to it...

> Lee Crites writes:
> > I have come to the conclusion that using a digiboard was not my best move.
>
> I Agree...

Any suggestions on a multi-port board?  I need a 'one box' solution for
many of my clients.

The ideal situation would be a pentium box with an isdn card to connect to
the internet, an ethernet card for connecting to the lan (is there such a
thing as a router card?), a multiport serial card (so they can dial in), and
28.8/33.4 modems.

I'd *like* things to be scsi, but that's another story.  Any clues on what
multiport card would be best?  What isdn card is best?

> Add yourself and/or all users the need to access the tty to the
> group dialer..

I can add these to /etc/groups.  What happens when I reach that magic
one-hundred-something limit in the group record?

> It not a good idea to enable both Dialout and Dialin, probably part of your
> problem.

I started out with just the ttyDxx, then added cuaDxx, at which point I
had both, I added mgetty, at which point I commented out all of the
others, ttyDxx included.  When I decided to try one mgetty and one getty
is when I uncommented out the ttyDxx items.

> Set the correct device here (ttyD).

I'm looking for dialin access, not dialout access.  So do I use ttyDxx or
cuaDxx?  This might be my problem.  I thought I used the cuaDxx for
dialin.

> A better way is to use rc.serial..
> Have you initialized your ttys?? (look at /etc/rc.serial, uncomment the
> line under Digiboard..

I saw this a while ago.  I believe the only time I tried it was when I
was using getty.  I just tried it while using mgetty with little
difference.

I did, however, actually get one of my pc's to get some garbage back
after the modem connected.  So I guess that is progress.  Until then All
I ever got was modem connect and nothing else.

Lee