Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 12:59:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Crypto (MD5,DES) filesystem

Hi!

I'm looking for an implementation of crypto filesystem for FreeBSD.
Perhaps it doesn't exist at all (yet).

I'm ignorant in filesystems intrinsics, so don't laugh, but here's my idea
how it could be done:

* take the nullfs and modify it, so that in every write it makes an XOR of
md5-hashed password with the actual block contents. On every read do the
contrary. In other words, to slide in encryption between vnode and nullfs
layers.

* modify the mount_null (let's call it mount_crypto) to get a password
from user.

Then user could issue the following command (as it is not required to be
superuser to do such mounts):

mount_crypto -e md5 /home/user/plaintext/locked /home/user/unlocked

and every file in directory 'locked' would be encrypted/decrypted on the
fly. The most important being the contents of the disk blocks are always
encrypted (no need to write decrypted blocks anywhere).

Now, be kind, but what do you think of it?

Sincerely yours,

---
Andrzej Bialecki                  FreeBSD: Turning PCs Into Workstations
<abial@warman.org.pl>             http://www.freebsd.org
Research and Academic Network in Poland