Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:42:02 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Iain Templeton <iain@research.canon.com.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:19:21AM +1000, Iain Templeton wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > > Yes, my bank recently upped the account maintenance fee to $2000, that
> > > is just wrong.
> >
> > Hmm.  I think you mean:
> >
> > s/account maintenance fee/minimum balance/
> > s/my bank/ANZ/
> >
> > Agreed, that pisses me off too.
> >
> Yes, right on all three counts. I don't have a problem maintaining $2k,
> but I can imagine many people who are far worse off than me having
> trouble. Two years ago when I was a student (I almost wrote stupid
> again, I'm getting good at that little slip :-) I doubt that I had my
> balance above $2k for more than a couple of months (and that was only
> after vacation employment).

Banks often have special deals for college kids and younger. Not that
banks are such nice institutions, but they'd like to keep you when you
grow up and invest more money in them and pay more fees. They count on
the next point below.

Oh, and then there's odd cases like where I went to school,
Maryland. By law, banks cannot charge fees to people below a certain
age. It was twenty or twenty-one I think. They still scrammbled to
sign up students almost as much as the credit card companies.

> > > We have basically 5 banks in Australia, and a number of other smaller
> > > groups who provide banking services (some of them are credit unions,
> > > others are overseas banks). Generally the big 4 (+1) tend to have the
> > > highest fees.
> >
> > And they're rising all the time.
> >
> And nobody seems to be trying to do anything about it.

$1.50 here and there is below the threashold where most people notice
it. Hopefully, even with 5 banks, the one that offers low, or ideally,
no fees will be able to pull business from the others. However, for
$4.50 or $6 a month, most people would find the rather tedious task of
finding a new bank, signing lots of papers, etc. not worth the
effort. There is no real incentive for one bank to lower fees.

> > > I think the one I find the hardest to comprehend is the service fees. If
> > > I make more than 6 electronic (ie Internet, phone, EFTPOS, ATM)
> > > transactions a month, I get charge $1.50 per excess transaction.
> > >
> > > I only get 2 over the counter transactions as well. Not that I need
> > > them.
> >
> > Hmm.  I'm beginning to wonder if this is ANZ after all.  I hope not.
> >
> It is.
>
> > > It's funny really, the banks make barely anything out of personal
> > > banking, yet charge the highest fees. It looks as if they are
> > > forcing the individual business units to make the highest profits,
> > > rather than perhaps spreading things out across the entire business.
> >
> > A while back in Germany I was left with the distinct impression that
> > the commercial banks were no longer interested in individual
> > accounts.  Maybe the same thing is happening in Australia.
> >
> I suspect so. I'm just surprised that it is soo high. I honestly think
> that if it costs them $1.50 for every extra transaction, then there is
> something seriously wrong with their transaction system.

ATMs are not proving to be the money savers banks thought they would
be. Now a days (in the US anyway), banks are typically open with
teller service _longer_ hours than they were a decade or two
ago. PLUS, people expect 24-hour ATM, phone, and on-line banking on
top of that. Despite our complaining, banks offer a _lot_ more
services than they did in the past. The customers have and always will
have to pay for the services whether it be in fees or reduced returns
on investments. Some of it is kind of like software market, just pile
on more and more silly features that very few people use as an excuse
to charge more and more for the product.

Not that I don't find the idea that when I use another bank's ATM
machine I have to pay $1.50 service charge to the bank who owns the
ATM, _plus_ another $1.50 to my bank for the honor of getting my money
from someone else's machine a bit too much.