Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 10:08:06 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>, core@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Search engine replacement for FreeBSD.org site

Ceri Davies wrote:
>>Ok.. I agree - although the doc team sent me to core..
>

> That was me.  We on the doc team currently have two offers of new search
> engines for the website, one from Eric, and another from Atomz.
>
> Michael Lucas is mainly liasing with Atomz, although there's a problem
> with the httpd config on nwww which is denying their indexer access to the
> mail archives (their user agent is explicitly blocked as it doesn't respect
> robots.txt).  I mailed wosch the same thread regarding this
> (<20020917221109.GA13675@submonkey.net>), but so far I don't think
> we've had a response.
>
> The doc team would like to see both search engines tried out, as to be frank
> the current one is appalling, and nik suggested that Eric may be able to get
> access to nwww for this purpose.  Atomz are hosting their engine themselves.

Right, the idea was to have both available - a local newer updated
search engine, and then also have links to atomz search.

>>>To go next step, you should find strong supporter (committer) for your
>>>search engine.  To become a committer (for committing our CVS
>>>repository), you should find a committer as your mentor.
>>
>>Umm.. Does anyone want to do this? Please? :)
>

> At this stage, I don't believe Eric wants to be in CVSROOT/access.
> We just want him to able to get his code into a testable state on nwww.
> At least I think this is the case, as I don't know what's passed between
> Eric, nik and core prior to this, only what's been mentioned on -doc.
>
> Now that may not be possible, in which case perhaps a member of webmaster
> could talk to Eric regarding how they could go about installing his code for
> him.

Actually, I really would not mind being in "CVSROOT/access" - I submit
lots of PRs (for doc mostly) and have offered lots of help for keeping
projects up to date, and web pages up to date also.  Michael Lucas and I
have even recently chatted about the help needed in the public
relations/corporate liason area.

Thanks Ceri and Jun for the help and direction on this..

Eric