Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:54:12 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which Installation CD do I need?

--NDin8bjvE/0mNLFQ

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 04:17:10PM -0500, Richard Carranza wrote:
> I am interested in installing Free BSD from www.linuxiso.org.  I only=20
> have a 33 MB RAM and  166MHz computer.  So, I want a minimal light=20
> weight installation, text based OS.  Which CDs do I need from the=20
> linuxiso.org website?  Thanks.

Hmmm... Apart from the point that FreeBSD is not Linux in any shape or
form, interesting site none-the-less.

Recommend you install FreeBSD 4.8, which is the latest release on the
4-STABLE branch.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html
for general installation instructions.  To find a near-by mirror site
with the ISO images you need look at
http://www.freebsdmirrors.org/FBSDsites.php3

In order to install, you need no more than the
4.8-RELEASE-i386-mini.iso image, but that is the bare minimum.  The
disk1 image contains the same stuff as the mini iso with the addition
of a bunch of extra stuff like documentation, some essential extra
packages and XFree86.  The disk2 image contains a live filesystem
image and a copy of the FreeBSD CVS repository.

On the other hand, if you have reasonably fast network access, you can
download a couple of floppy images from here:

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.8-RELEASE/floppies/

and install the whole system over the network.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way