Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:06:55 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Subject:   Re: Snapshots in the Fast Filesystem

On Sept 23/2000, Barry Pederson wrote:
>On July 05/2000, Kirk McKusick wrote:
>  >
>>  I have completed an initial implementation of snapshots for the
>>  fast filesystem (UFS/FFS). I have put up a tarball on
>>
>>          http://people.freebsd.org/~mckusick/snap.tgz
>>
>>  I am looking for comments and feedback on these changes. I am
>>  proposing to put them into 5.0-current on Tuesday July 11th
>>  unless I get feedback indicating that folks are not happy
>  > with this addition.
>  >                    ....................
>  > So, as you can see, this is definitely alpha-quality code.
>>  Much remains to be done to make it really useful in
>>  production systems. But, I wanted to let folks get a chance
>>  to try it out and start reporting bugs.
>

>I've been fooling with this in 5.0-CURRENT, and have have found
>it to be a terribly, terribly cool feature.
>        [...skipping...]
>
>Lastly, I'm curious if it's possible that snapshots will be MFC'd
>into 4.x at some point? or will this be a 5.0 and up only feature?

I thought I would stir the waters again and ask how this new
feature seems to be working out in -current.  Is there much
chance of it working with the 4.x-branch of releases?

I realize there's a lot of work here, and that it may very well
need to be tied into some of the smp-related work in 5.0 (wrt
big-locks, etc), so I won't mind if it can't make it any sooner.

Mainly I just wanted to reiterate that this sounds like a very cool
feature (particularly given how huge disks are getting, a snapshot
facility seems like a good use of that spare space), and that I'm
looking forward to it whenever it does appear.