Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:48:54 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Neil <neil@corpex.com>, Questions Freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernal Fault

On Mon, Sep 01, 1997 at 11:22:20PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Neil wrote:
>
>> 	What does all this actually mean; Do I have a memory problem,
>> a SWAP problem a Kernel bug, or a duff perl script?
>> (The perl script runs fine most of the time)
>>
>> Fatal Trap: page fault while in kernel mode.
>> fault virtual address= 	0x68
>> fault code= supervisor read, page not present
>> instruction pointer= 0x8:0xf01852dd
>> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>> 	     = DPL 0, pres 1, def 321, gran 1
>> process eflags = interupt enabled, resume IOPL=0
>> current process = 24446 (perl)
>> interrupt mark=
>> panic: page fault
>
> I'm no pro at reading panic dumps, hackers@freebsd.org could probably help
> you more.  Swap problems would manifest itself in other forms, such as
> other log entries, and kernel bugs that result in this are pretty rare in
> -RELEASEs.

I can't see any reason to believe that this is related to swap.  All
we can see is a pretty non-specific error (hint: this corresponds to
another vendor's General Protection Fault.  Sorry, we can't always
come up with more accurate information).

> The fault address of 0x68 is somewhat suspect.

That's why we had the fault.

> What version of Perl is this?  5.001 was known to have some pretty
> major problems, particularly with regards to memory
> allocation. 5.003 fixes them up.

There's no reason to believe that this is Perl's fault.  Perl runs in
user space, and by definition things in user space shouldn't be able
to crash the system.

How often has this happened?  It could be a sporadic hardware failure.
If it happens more often, check if it's always perl.  If you have the
kernel debugger running, try to get a trace.  Otherwise, try to get a
dump and send us a backtrace.  See chapter 20 of the online handbook
(currently http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook264.html#593) for
what to do.

Greg