Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 23:37:41 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

Sue Blake writes:
> Just because we all agree that csh is bad, doesn't mean that any

We don't all agree that csh is bad. At the command line csh is well
worth having for its history mechanism. While BSD sh has history, I've
not seen the default sh on SGI or Sun systems with same features. When
I was running a mixed shop new users got tcsh. Those who had other
preferences knew to ask for a change if the system didn't allow them to
change it for themselves.

Most asked for help when they advanced to the point of writing scripts.
Then the first lesson I gave them was, "first line of the script has to
be, '#!/bin/sh' ...."

No contest from me in that csh scripting is fatally flawed.

Did tcsh replace csh, or was tcsh simply added? Big difference. I'm all
in favor of replacing csh in the base system.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net