Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 20:29:19 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        daryll@harlot.rb.ca.us (Daryll Strauss), dfr@freebsd.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Encouraging progress with FreeBSD 3dfx device driver.

I've made some huge steps during the past couple of days with the driver. For
a long time I was having problems with the structure being passed to the ioctl
call being corrupted. It turned out that I wasn't setting up the call properly
in the linux emulator. Now the main problem lies with mmaping the card memory.
Watching the system calls whizz by, it works up until a couple of ioctls's
past the mmap. There it hangs hard. A softreset leaves the card in a bizzarre
state, where even any calls that touch it later hang. It takes a power cyle to
make it sensible again. I'm going to be reviewing carefully the mmap and
address setup.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California