Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 07:58:16 -0700
From:      "Chris McCluskey" <info@quantumsol.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How do I do I decide the best route between two gateways

I have a FreeBSD firewall box and attached to it are two external gateways
(one from a DSL connection, the other from a T1). Basically I want the T1
link to be the primary link (the default gateway) for the LAN, but I would
like to use the DSL link as a failover link. I also have legacy services
that require the DSL connection (as I'm not prepared to move those services
over to the T1 at this time). In doing some research it looks like routed is
the way to go, but it doesn't look like I'm getting any RIP or IRDP messages
back from the gateways (even though I have explicitly allowed UDP 520, all
ICMP traffic, and IGMP though the firewall to be safe [or unsafe as the case
may be])-- at least I see no evidence of this (netstat shows no new gateways
and routed -t just shows the repopulation of the local subnet routes). Are
there other better options?

One of the main problems I'm having is that to get data to flow over the T1
circuit, I have to change the static default route from the DSL connection
to the T1. This is fine since all connections on the T1 then operate as
expected. But after switching the default gateway, the incoming connection
(example SMTP) no longer work. In taking a look at the firewall rules, the
packet is successfully received, but lacks a valid route back out the
system.

The same thing happens in reverse (if I switch the default route from the T1
to the DSL) the DSL connections work fine, but then requests to the T1 fail
due to a lack of a good route.

Any ideas?

Thanks.