Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 08:27:58 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
Cc:        Jake Burkholder <jake@checker.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shujit port

[ Not to single out Roland, but ...]
> % uname -sr
> FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE
> I am using the aout jdk from Dec 21, 1998.

Since you're running 3.1-STABLE, you really want the newer ELF release,
which contains some bugfixes for window placement.

Also, since you're running an ELF system, the compiler will create ELF
binaries by default (as Steve pointed out), which I suspect is causing
the problems you are seeing.

Trying to make a port that can deal with 3.* a.out JDK is gonna be tough
for anyone, so I recommend using the JDK that is appropriate for
whatever binary format is 'standard' on your system.

[
Unfortunately, that means I need to get the ELF release to work better
on pre 3.1-STABLE boxes, but soeone will get to that sometime soon.
]

Nate