Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2016 13:45:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help finding out find why a ZFS pool vanished.

--CFnm6pRafGjcfNFuUn4vuagiBt1GddrqS
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--hJTh4vbD0TFllfuTOUlmpsIJFFJcdIw18

On 16/10/2016 01:56, Greg Marsh wrote:
> A couple days ago, when trying to copy my desktop files to my backup
> system, I got NFS mount errors. I was quite sore & tired from work (aft=
er
> 25 years of sysadmining, I'm now doing home renovations), so I went wit=
> the Windows admin response of 'reboot everything', on both my desktop a=
nd
> server. Then when trying to remount the NFS shares from my FreeBSD syst=
em
> didn't work, I df'd on my FreeBSD server to find the /storage pool was =
not
> there.
>=20
> I was eventually able to get my storage pool back through 'zpool import=

> -af'

Have you examined the log from the zpool that mysteriously vanished?

  # zpool history -il poolname

This will record every zfs(8) or zpool(8) command affecting the pool.
You should also examine any command histories you have for actions
affecting /boot/zfs/zpool.cache -- while the system nowadays will
generally be able to find your boot pool without this, it may not be
able to find /other/ pools.  Lots of recipes for manual intervention
with ZFS systems rely on manipulating this file, but they frequently do
not warn against /removing/ the working copy before rebooting, something
that tends to catch out the tidier amongst us.

	Cheers,

	Matthew