Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 20:00:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Wardle <michael@endbracket.net>
To:        ports@geeksrus.net
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, michael.wardle@adacel.com
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: fam-2.6.8

Hi Alan

I understand that you recently became the maintainer of the FreeBSD FAM
port.

I am the FAM maintainer, and work on behalf of SGI.  (Please note that
I am sending this mail from my personal account.  My work account
details are below in my signature.)

Last I knew, the FreeBSD FAM port had a moderate amount of extra
patches required to build on FreeBSD, most notably a patch to provide a
mntent compatibility layer.

I am receptive to integrating any necessary modifications that will
help FAM build natively on FreeBSD without the need for extra FAM
patches in the FreeBSD ports tree (including the mntent compatibility
patch).  Hopefully this would reduce the work required to maintain FAM
on FreeBSD, as well as providing a more consistent FAM across all
platforms.

Some of the current patches, including the mntent compatibility layer,
fall under an "old-style" BSD license, which includes an advertising
clause that is incompatible with the license FAM is licensed under, the
GNU GPL.  This means that I will be unable to merge those changes that
have such a license.
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl.html>;
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/bsd.html>;
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses>;

I made the previous maintainer and the author of the mntent
compatilibilty layer aware of my concerns a few weeks ago, but have not
yet heard from them.

On the positive side, I believe the advertising clause was declared
redundant in official BSD-based software by UCB a few years ago, so it
may be possible for any old-style BSD-licensed software to be
relicensed under the new-style BSD license (one without the advertising
clause).

If you are able to resolve this issue, then I see no reason why the
FreeBSD patches can not be merged upstream into the FAM source tree.

Thanks for your efforts in updating the FAM port, and I look forward to
working with you.

--
MICHAEL WARDLE
SGI Desktop & Admin Software