Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:21:37 +1300
From:      Paul Radford <p.radford@niwa.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ciss driver support for tape drives?

Hi,

I've got a Compaq DL320 server here, with a SmartArray 532 SCSI/RAID
controller in it. The "ciss" driver detects the logical RAID volume
attached to the controller, but it does not detect the two DLT tape
drives attached to it on the external port. However, they are detected
by the BIOS on boot, so there is nothing physically wrong (all
terminated, cabled correctly, etc).

 From my reading of the "ciss" driver source, the driver only supports
logical drives, i.e. disk arrays. Although the tape drives are supported
by the card, they are not supported by the driver.

Is this correct, and if so, is it likely to change? I'd love to know if
anybody has gotten tape drives working on a ciss-supported card. I'd
hate to have to put Linux on the box just to get tape support in the
driver. :(

System: 4.6-STABLE as of August 27, driver source hasn't noticeably
changed in 4.7-RELEASE either (I checked).
camcontrol is of no help whatsoever, it just reports the logical drive.

Thanks for any help,
Paul Radford

relevant dmesg:

ciss0: <Compaq Smart Array 532> port 0xb000-0xb0ff mem
0xd0500000-0xd0503fff,0xd0000000-0xd003ffff irq 3 at device 1.0 on pci1
ciss0: using 256 of 1024 available commands
ciss0:   1 logical drive configured
ciss0:   firmware 1.16
ciss0:   2 SCSI channels
ciss0:   signature 'CISS'
ciss0:   valence 1
ciss0:   supported I/O methods 0xe<simple,performant,MEMQ>
ciss0:   active I/O method 0x3<simple>
ciss0:   4G page base 0x00000000
ciss0:   interrupt coalesce delay 1000us
ciss0:   interrupt coalesce count 16
ciss0:   max outstanding commands 1024
ciss0:   bus types 0x2<ultra3>
ciss0:   server name ''
ciss0:   heartbeat 0x10000026
ciss0: 1 logical drive
ciss0: logical drive 0: RAID 1, 16896MB online