Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:36:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Cc:        Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter@inode.at>
Subject:   Re: problems with DiskOnChip ...

> It works great, but I found, if the gziped mfs-tree exceeds a significant size,
> weird things happen with the boot-loader.
> First the loader can not read the loader.rc-file. It seems, that the file ist empty,
> but it isn't.
> If the mfs-tree image grows more and more, than the loader produces DiskErrors.
> I use PicoBSD based on 3.5.1, but after FreeBSD 4.3 is released, I try PicoBSD based
> this and maybe this error does'nt exist any more (I hope so).
I spent a few days a year or two back tring to solve this problem.
As I remember, the BIOS interface for the DOC seemed to be broken.
The mapping (cyl,sec,head) used by the DOC exceeds the maximum
cylinder number for the int13 call that boot1 uses.  Search the
archives and you should find some ramblings from me when I had a
better handle on the problem.   I have since switched to Compact
Flash and DiskonModules (http://www.pqi.com.tw).  More recently I
seem to be using Compact Flash only.  The Compact Flash seems to
have the lowest failure rate and it is also very cost effective.

Larry