Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 14:29:20 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/genassym...

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> [cc'd to -arch]
>
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> >
> > >   Added files:
> > >     usr.bin/genassym     Makefile genassym.8 genassym.c
> > >   Log:
> > >   New command for creating assembler symbols from C.
> >
> > Actually, now that I'm awake properly, the thought just occurred to me.
> > This should be shipped with the kernel (along with config(8) and it's
> > replacement) as the modules are not going to be built with the world
> > for much longer.
>
> Possibly... Currently only the kernel and 2 modules need to use
> genassym, but I don't want to qualify it as a kernel-only tool per se.
> What about gensetdefs?
> gensetdefs is also needed by the Alpha boot loader, BTW.
> And what about elf2exe?
>
> Anyway, what it the status of building modules with the kernel and how
> does it complicate a cross-build in which we want to build a kernel as
> well (needed to properly upgrade)?

The direction I'm working towards is building the kernel and modules at the
same time under a common configuration and not part of 'world' at all.  ie:
the modules will be build under "GENERIC" along with the generic kernel.  If you
build a highly tuned kernel, your modules are tuned as well.

Cheers,
-Peter