Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:18:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Lorin Lund <fbsd@wbs-inc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Advocacy help for CS professor

>>I have a CD professor who has a masters in CS and EET from a top 50
>>university yet is enveloped in the Microsoft way of life. While this isn't
>>necessarily a bad thing, he is indirectly advocating Windows over Unix for
>>all tasks based on knowledge from the Unix of years ago. Alot has changed!
>>Showing him that Unix (BSD/Linux, etc) make a great server is easy, but Unix
>>is now a great desktop platform as well. This is what I need help with. I
>>have written several advocacy messages myself, but they are typically
>>targeted to people setting up servers.
>>
>>I would like to make some specific arguments that will show him that Unix is
>>worth giving a try, and if he doesn't like it, fine, his choice. He is
>>willing to read what I have to say about it and listen to me as a peer, and
>>considering his position as the head of the CS department, this could
>>benefit FreeBSD and Unix in general (if you are interested in that sort of
>>thing).
>>
>>This person has the following additude:
>>
>>- Microsoft has money, therefore can buy the best programmers, therefore has
>>the best products.
>>

>The argument that more money means more productivity (whether in quality or
>volume)
>has been amply shown to be false by labor union's inability to produce the
>increased
>performance they promise at the bargaining table.
>Motivation comes from emotions.  If people aren't excited about what they do
>they will
>inevitably give lackluster performance even if they have great potential.

A low[er] pay, however, may have nasty [side] effects. :-)

<snip>

>The one more concept that I don't have particular figures for is that
>academic success
>is not always a sure indicator of ability to perform well in a working world
>environment.  I remember
>being surprised at a study that showed how low the correlation is but I don't
>have any recollection
>of the source on that.

On a loosely related note, several years ago (in 1991), H. Gardner wrote an
illuminating book on the inability of the school system to provide actual
education -- and 'actual' is the operative word.  The book is entitled "The
Unschooled Mind - How Children Think and How Schools Should Teach."

Yet I think that in this case Gardner himself would be very surprised. :-))
It is truly amazing how little certain academics (?) [seem to have] read these
days, viz. how limited their learning/culture (and Weltans^Wvision) may be.

-- Salvo