Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 15:01:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com>
To:        Mark Patterson <marpat@kmtnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, Linux ISP List <linuxisp@lightning.com>
Subject:   Re: T1 offc. resell config

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Mark Patterson wrote:

> Looking for suggestions on how i might handle the following:
> We're considering having a full T1 dropped into a 13-story office building.
> Serveral of the tennents have expressed interest in getting access from us
> already.  So we want to sell portions (fractionalize?) our T1 _within_
> the office bldg.  Outside the building a little later ;-)
>
> Initially, what's the *least* expensive way to go about this?  We only have
> an initial budget of $10k. More if we can show a profit to the investors.

You'll need more.  Especially if you're in an area with good competition.

> Current equipment -  an ET/5025 Router card (I think this card will do T1)
> in a x386-Linux box; a 56/64k Adtran CSU/DSU (with buy back option);
> FreeBSD P5/120mhz 32MB RAM, SCSI 2-1Gb HDD, 3Com-509 ethercard;
> and a x486-66 w/16mb RAM.

Sounds good.

> Don't know if the building is wired to handle a T1.

Then the phone company will wire it.  56k through T1 only takes 2-pairs of
wire.

> What equip. do i use to break up our T1 into resellable portions for
> potential clients ranging in need from 56kb - 128kb and above?

Locally, you can use something called the "Ethernet Bandwidth Manager"
from ET,inc. (www.etinc.com).  You get a $400 discount on this if you
buy it with one of their cards which you said you were doing so it's only
around $100 IIRC.  Put this on your gateway/router box (the 386 running
Linux) and wire an ethernet to your other clients provided it's not too
far then tell the bandwidth manager to limit all traffic going to and from
the ip addresses of each client to, say, 128k if that's what they're
paying for.  See www.etinc.com for more details.

(I don't have one, but they look nice and seem to solve your problem)

For remote clients you need to either put together more router boxes, buy
Non-PC routers, or use your currently box.  For point to point lines you
ned another csu/dsu and sync. card for each, for frame relay you can put
multiple connections for lower speeds (PVCs) inside one T1 basically and
still use that line for your T-1.

Hope this helps...

 - Steve
  - Systems Manager