Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 2003 02:29:10 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a dynamically-linked root

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:31:05PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Peter Wemm, and lo! it spake thus:

> Which is why /rescue/init is on the fallback init path, and can be explicitly
> entered at the loader prompt.  Right now it is:
> kern.init_path: /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:/stand/sysinstall
>
> And nothing would be stopping somebody from typing this at the loader:
> set kern.init_path=/rescue/init
> and at the shell path prompt, /rescue/sh

Oh, absolutely.

Given a good /rescue, you can still recover from at least most[0]
problems that a static / would let you recover from.  And all else being
equal, I'm fully of the belief that the increase in potential minor
calamities (which some manual /rescue/* intervention can recover) is a
small price to pay for some of the gains that a dynamic / gives.  I think
the downside is minor and full work-around-able (there's a better word
for that, I'm just losing my language processing skills); I just don't
agree that it's nonexistent.

Yes, get the support for a Big Static/Dynamic Switch (tm) in and tested
so we can flip it however we want.  More generally, yes, I'd agree with
get a roadmap for changing the default "sometime", whether that's 5.2 or
5.3 or 6.0.  It's a good change; it's just not an entirely
side-effect--free change.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net