Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:02:22 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh version string

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:07:28AM +0200, Alex Popa wrote:
> Hello.  I finished a build/installworld on -stable a few hours ago, and
> I noticed that the ssh version string had not been bumped at the moment
> I did the cvsup, however the fix *is* in channels.c.
>
> next is output from ls; times are UTC+2
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  74727 Mar  7 19:11 channels.c
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  11705 Feb  3 16:29 channels.h
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   2061 Sep 28 04:33 version.c
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    431 Feb  3 16:29 version.h
>
> So I seem to have caught the moment between the updating of channels.c
> and version.h. [confirmed: a new cvsup changed just version.h, not the
> rest]

That's no surprise.  For FreeBSD-CURRENT and FreeBSD-STABLE there
were large windows of time (approximately 2 and 1 days respectively)
between the update to channels.c and the update to version.h.

For the security branches, the window was only for a few seconds.

> This is useful to use as a honeypot-like system.  I wonder if you could
> tell me what the signs of trying to exploit the (now fixed)
> vulnerability are, so I could pay extra care with those.

I cannot.  There are no publicly available exploits at this time.  I
suspect you'd see something similar to previous types of attacks ...
lots of sshd's dying as the exploit hunted for the right payload, but
I cannot be certain.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                     http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME           .      FreeBSD UNIX      .        Heimdal Kerberos